ASHI Certified Inspector
Get Your Report
One of the most frequent questions I hear from homeowners is in the area of mold detection. Most Americans are aware that mold is toxic to overall personal health and to the health of a house, but many are not sure how to detect it. I hear questions like:
“How do I know if I have mold in my house?”
“If my son is coughing at night, does that mean our house is full of mold?”
“Are older homes more susceptible to mold infestation?”
“Doesn’t every house have a little bit of mold in it?”
Hopefully, this list will help you determine if mold is a possibility. However, the only way to accurately assess the amount of mold in your home is to test for it. The three main types of test for mold are:
Avalon Home Inspections can test your home if you see, smell, or detect mold issues anywhere in your home or if someone in your home has allergies or asthma and you want to be sure to keep the mold to a minimum. It’s best to have mold testing performed for you by a qualified mold professional. Hiring a professional mold tester who is experienced at collecting and analyzing mold samples will always lead to the most accurate results.
If you see any of the following signs below, contact Avalon Home Inspections for a complete mold evaluation:
One of the simplest ways to determine if mold is growing inside or outside your home is to give it the old sniff test. For those who have smelled mold in the past, they will likely never forget the smell. If you have never had the pleasure of smelling mold, I describe it this way. Mold on the outside of your house often smells stale, but mold on the inside smells musty and damp. A mold smell is not something to ignore. A little Febreeze is not the answer. If you have sniffed out some mold, have it taken care of before it becomes a pervasive problem.
Of course, if you see mold, then you know for sure that SOME mold exists. The question is, “How much?” It would be easy to assume that what you see is what you get, but unfortunately, this is not always the case. It’s the mold you CAN’T see that is often the scariest.
Current or previous leaks are often the indicator that mold is present. Whether it was a leaky pipe or a leak in the roof, these often produce moisture in overlooked places.
Water intrusion can take on many forms. Whether a sewer line is backed up or a pipe breaks or flooding occurs from an outside building, each problem can lead to mold if not cleaned carefully and completely. Often these problems cannot be spotted immediately, which leads to the probability of mold.
If your house has been in a flood there’s a good chance you will end up with a mold problem. After a flood the best thing you can do is contact a mold remediation company or water damage specialist who performs clean ups of flooded homes.
This way you can be sure that all mold problems will be properly taken care of. You will also have the peace of mind of knowing that your home will be completely safe to continue living in after it’s been professionally remediated.
Black mold is known for causing the most damage to our bodies because it contains mycotoxins that affect our skin, respiratory functions, and more. If you or someone you love is experiencing a combination of any of the following symptoms, I recommend an inspections of your home:
There is no cure or antidote which can be taken for toxic black mold. The only solution is to remove the toxic black mold from your environment. Once you are away from toxic black mold your body will start to recover and most of your symptoms should go away over time. However some of the damage from toxic black mold can be permanent.
Below is a diagram showing common areas for hidden mold. Inspect those areas yourself, but for complete peace of mind, give Avalon a call.