Cleaning around the house is not exactly a favorite past-time. Most homeowners aren’t even excited about vacuuming their homes, let alone dusting and wiping down every little surface. You can imagine that cleaning anything that sits on the exterior and interior of the home such as the aluminum window frames is not the first item to get cleaned. Additionally, they require specific cleaning solutions. Wondering how to clean aluminum window frames? There are a variety of recommended cleaning solutions to keep your window frames clean.
Let’s take a look below at what the recommended solutions are.
What Can I Use To Clean The Aluminum Frames?
When dealing with aluminum window frames, you will want to utilize a variety of options. For each homeowner, it might be a different choice of what to use on the metal surfaces. Also, the solution that you choose might be determined by how dirty or tough the stains are on the aluminum window frame. Let’s take a look below at the options for the initial cleaning.
- White Vinegar – Brush away the loose dirt and grime with a nylon scrub brush. They take equal parts of vinegar and warm water and scrub the vinegar solution onto the frame. You should see any oxidation spots disappear. If they do not disappear, change to a stainless-steel wire brush. Then rinse the solution and use a rag to wipe the surface.
- Citrus Cleaner – Again, use a nylon scrub brush to remove loose dirt. Use water to wet the frame and then dip your scrub brush into the citrus cleaner such as lemon juice. Scrub the window frame until you see the oxidized aluminum window spots disappear. Rinse and wipe down with a rag to dry the frame.
- Commercial Aluminum Cleaner – Be sure to have safety goggles and gloves before using a commercial cleaner. Use a cloth or rag and spray the cleaner onto one of them. Start in a small area to test its effectiveness on the aluminum surface. Allow the cleaner to work before rinsing it. Scrub the frame with the nylon scrub brush to clean the frame. Rinse the frame and dry it with a dry rag or cloth.
- Polishing the Frame – Once you have completed the cleaning process you can polish up the aluminum frames by using a lot of water and fine steel wool.
What Are The Dos And Don’ts?
Believe it or not, there are some dos and don’ts when it comes to aluminum window frame cleaning. Let’s take a look below at what those might be.
The Dos Of Cleaning Aluminum Window Frames
Cleaning aluminum window frames regularly is highly recommended. This guarantees a longer-lasting window frame. Let’s take a look at some tips.
- Silicone Spray – Silicone spray comes with a straw applicator. You can use this to lubricate the window frame.
- Clean the Glass – Use a glass cleaner or mild soap and water mixture and a soft cloth to wipe down the glass surfaces.
- Non-Abrasive Cleaners – Only use cleaners like soap and water to clean the frames regularly. Using other non-abrasive solutions as recommended above is also a great idea.
- Soft Cloth – Always use a soft cloth to dry and remove excess water from the seals, glass, and hinges of the window.
The Don’ts Of Cleaning Aluminum Window Frames
If you do decide to clean the aluminum window frames on your own, make sure to avoid the mistakes listed below.
- Always avoid using chemicals that can be harsh or abrasive to the window frames.
- Never use scrubbing brushes that have abrasive pads.
- Keep the sprinkler system from spraying your aluminum window frames.
- Never pressure wash your window frames with a high-powered nozzle.
Other Recommended Maintenance
Now that you know how to clean aluminum window frames, if you ever have an issue with water on the inside of the window, you will want to read up on the solution. If you cleaned your window framing, it is possible that excess moisture got inside the window panes. This would cause a moisture buildup.
Next, be sure that you understand the type of window frames that are in your home. It is possible that you have vinyl windows and not aluminum. Using certain chemicals on the vinyl window frames could cause them to warp. Not to mention the wear and tear from the local weather conditions.
Lastly, you might experience a leaking window. This would be a good time to fix your leaking windows. When it rains, if the window frame has damage, water can get into the window or even your home and cause some major damage.
When Do I Call A Professional?
Dealing with your aluminum window frames should be a fairly easy chore. Most homeowners will forget to maintain or care for the window frames. It is important to keep them clean just like anything else inside or outside of the house. Hiring a professional cleaning crew might be a good idea to assist. Also, reach out to your local home inspection team. They can inspect your window frames to ensure everything is sealed tight.
The moment that you notice your aluminum window frames are dirty, you should clean them. Make sure to use only the materials recommended in this article. Consequently, using other solutions or products could damage the aluminum metal. Also, if you are not sure what to do, call on your local home inspection team. They can recommend a good way to clean the aluminum and inspect your windows for any damage to the frame or seals. Reach out to Avalon Home Inspectors to check your windows when inspecting your home in Atlanta, GA., and surrounding areas.