As a homeowner, we like to think that the builder uses composite roofing to save us money in case we have to replace it due to various types of damage. Additionally, composite roofing materials last longer than other materials. What is a composition roof? A composition roof is made of shingles that contain asphalt and other materials to maintain durability.
Let’s take a look below at some of the more specifics regarding a composition shingle roof.
What Is A Composition Roof
Composite roofs are known to be more affordable and durable than many other roofing options. They are made of shingles that contain fiberglass-reinforced mats. The mats consist of mineral fillers and asphalt for stability. Since composite roof shingles have more than just asphalt as their material makeup, they are more durable and stronger against heavy winds and rain.
What Are The Types Of Composition Roof
Believe it or not, there are three types of composite roofing shingles. Let’s take a look at what they are:
- Laminate shingles – are more durable as they have an added base layer for thickness compared to standard asphalt shingles.
- 3-tab shingle – each shingle has three tabs that measure a width of 1 foot.
- Architectural shingles – created to bring out the aesthetics of a roof. Have an extra coating layer to prevent moss, corrosion, and water penetration. They are larger than a 3-tabbed shingle.
How Are They Made
Getting to know what a composite roof shingle is made out of allows you to understand why they are so durable and fire resistant. Since they have been created with added materials, they protect your roofing materials and home from any leaks in a better manner than the older, basic roof shingle. Let’s take a look at what’s in a typical composition roof:
- Roof Vent
- Drip Edge
- Roof Decking
- Roof Flashing
- Ice and Water shield
- Ridge Cap
- Pipe Boots
Why Install A Composition Roof
Installing a composition roof has many benefits. Let’s take a look below at what those benefits are.
- Cheaper – they have the best value for longevity out of any roofing material. A fiberglass composition roof has the best cost-effectiveness out of other roofing choices. This is due to its lifespan being longer.
- Longevity – composition roofs can last between 15 and 20 years. If you hire the right roofing contractor or builder to build your home, you might even get between 40 and 50 years out of the roof. Of course, this will be based on environmental factors.
- Replaceable – if a storm comes in and damages your roof due to high winds or hail, a composition roof is easy to replace. The recommendation is that you hire a professional roofing contractor to make those repairs. However, if it is something small and manageable, like one shingle, the homeowner could repair it.
- Aesthetics – composition roofs look good. They have a variety of styles and colors to choose from that help blend your home with the surrounding homes or environment. Additionally, they have numerous styles to make your home stand out with added curb appeal.
How Much Do They Cost
Typically, a new composition roof will cost you between $5 and $8 per square foot. This includes material and installation. The average cost to replace an entire composition roof can range between $15,000 and $30,000. The price varies based on the size of the home and the material costs.
Other Recommended Maintenance
Now that you have an idea of what a composition roof is and how long it should last, you can continue to read up on when to replace the roof. Being able to calculate how often you should replace your roof allows you to save money each month so that the final bill is not so distressing.
Next, look into how long it takes to replace a roof. Before deciding on replacing your roof, you will want to know how long it should take the roofing contractor to get the job done. This is a major project and you wouldn’t want to it occur right before a family vacation or holiday.
Lastly, if you want to keep up with the aesthetics of your composition roof, select some gutters that match the style of your home and roof. Consider reading up on the values and aesthetics of the various gutter types. Knowing how long aluminum gutters last is a great start.
When Do I Call A Professional
Anytime that you have damage to a roof and need something replaced you will want to call on a professionally licensed roofing contractor. If you aren’t sure who to call, reach out to your local home inspection team for a roofing inspection. A roofing inspection allows you to have a written breakdown of what is damaged so that you can consult your roofing contractor for an estimate of repairs. Also, your home inspection team can refer you to a reputable licensed roofing contractor.
Having a variety of roofing choices allows you to take your time and consult a local professionally licensed roofing contractor and your local home inspection team. Together these professionals can conduct a wind mitigation inspection and determine what type of roofing materials are right for your home. Giving you this information allows you and your roofing contractor to determine how much a new roof costs, based on your desired roofing materials. Call on Avalon Home Inspections, to conduct your roofing inspection during a complete home inspection in Atlanta, GA.